The pandemic has over the past year reflected our search behavior in Pinterest and our other social channels, but the behavior is slowly beginning to change as vaccination is underway around the world and countries are starting to reopen. We see a trend in that many people long for social events and events and in the waiting times we start planning for vacations and dreaming away.
“While people turned to Pinterest throughout quarantine – with searches for topics like mindfulness, baking and home organization at historic highs – trends now show that same type of fervor, but with skyrocketing searches for vacations, and searches for outfits hitting an all-time high.”
According to Pinterest, there has been an increase in the renovation of various objects:
“From updating houses for working from home or more space for entertainment, or improving newly purchased homes, searches for renovations are at an all time high. Seasonally, we see spikes in renovation searches every January as people plan for the new year, however this year, coming out of quarantine, marks our highest searches ever for renovation10. Searches in Q1 2021 were 28% greater than searches in Q1 2020 and 65% greater than searches in Q1 2019″ According to search data from U.S
Generation Z, which includes young people between the ages of 18-24, has increased their searches by up to 96% to find inspiration to catch up on the past year during the pandemic.
- Searches for “dream vacation destinations” are up 13x, and “luxury vacation” searches are up 6x
- New shopping behaviors are also emerging, with searches for “vacation fashion” up 3x year-on-year, while “travel tattoos” are up 45%
- General fashion trends are also rising, with searches containing the word “outfit” now at an all-time high.
- More specific fashion trends include “Y2K outfit ideas” (+230x), “60 and 70s fashion” (+133x), “zebra pants” (+14x), and “plaid pleated skirt” (+12x)
- Trending accessories include “clay rings” (+303x), “hippie jewelry” (+16x), and “nose chain piercing” (+8x).
- More specific home decorating trends include “grand millennial decor” (+3x), “indie room” (+132x), “sage green aesthetic” (+32x), and “eclectic home” (+9x).
- “Makeup Makeover” increased by 100x, more searches than last year.
- Searches related to party increased by 64% from November 2020 to March 2021.
Pinterest continues to see steady growth in usage – now up to 478 million monthly actives – and the increasing shift towards eCommerce stands to work in the platform’s favor moving forward.
Search trends can help you as a marketer understand your target audience, and you can find a lot of inspiration on Pinterest to include in your marketing strategy. If you want to know more about search trends, you can use Pinterest’s own tools to do a trend analysis, and allow you to search for a specific topic and get engagement data on the platform.
Hope you enjoyed the article. Do not forget to subscribe to our newsletter!